Death & Total and Permanent Disablement
Triple S Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) Insurance provides cover to help ease the financial burden in case of your illness, injury or death.
Most Triple S members are provided with three default units1 of Standard Death and Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) Insurance until age 70, regardless of their current state of health and medical history.2
You or your family will be paid an entitlement if you:
- are permanently incapacitated for all types of work
- have a terminal illness
It’s important you are aware that you are not covered for any pre-existing medical condition in the first six months of active employment.
Find out how much cover you have - and how much you need
- Use the Insurance Calculator to work out whether you have enough insurance to meet you and your family’s needs should the unexpected happen.
- Login to the secure member portal to find out how much you’re currently covered for.
Finding the current value of your insurance
Once you’re logged into the secure member portal:
- Click on Triple S under Account Information
- This will take you to the My Account Summary page
- Scroll down and click on the + sign next to the heading
Insurance SummaryYour insurance amount will be displayed
What options do I have with Triple S Insurance?
- Increase: buy more Standard units or Fixed Benefit Insurance units
- Decrease: elect to have fewer Standard or Fixed Benefit Insurance units
- Cancel: available to most members.1 Keep in mind that if you decrease or cancel your Triple S insurance and you apply to increase your level of cover in the future, you will be required to provide information about your health, and limitations may be applied to your cover for any pre-existing medical conditions.
Increasing your Death and TPD insurance
The maximum value of Death and TPD Insurance you can have is $1,500,000 for full-time or part-time employees or $750,000 for casual employees.
When purchasing insurance you must complete a personal statement about your health and limitations may be applied to your cover for any pre-existing medical conditions.
You can elect to have Standard or Fixed Benefit Insurance cover.
Cost and value of Standard Death and TPD Insurance
- The cost the first three units1 of cover is $0.75 per unit, per week and additional units are $1 per unit, per week.
- The value of each unit starts decreasing once you reach age 35.
Table 1: Value of Standard Death and TPD units
Cost and value of Fixed Benefit Death and TPD Insurance
- The value of each unit is fixed at $10,000 and doesn’t decrease over time
- The premium increases with your age.
Table 2: Value of Fixed Benefit Death and TPD units
|34 & under||0.13||52||0.45|
Fixed Death and TPD Insurance (closed to new applications since November 2014)
Members are no longer able to apply for Fixed Insurance units of cover. You'll find more information here.
Making a claim
1 Police officers and SA Ambulance Service members are provided with and must maintain the minimum equivalent of six Standard units cover up to age 65. The first six prescribed units cost $0.75 per unit per week. Additional units cost $1.00 per unit per week.
2 Members who have been working for less than six months cannot claim for a condition that existed at the time they commenced work.
If you require a text-only version of a document to meet your special viewing requirements, please contact Super SA.
- Apply for Death and TPD Insurance form
- Change Death and TPD Insurance form
- Cancel Death and TPD Insurance form
- Death and TPD fact sheet