Income Protection

Income Protection FAQs

  • You should lodge the Income Protection claim as soon as possible.

    You can even lodge your Income Protection claim prior to the end of the 30 or 90 day waiting period. However, you won’t receive a benefit for the duration of the waiting period.

    Please note to lodge an Income Protection claim, it is important to apply:

    • Within six months of the last day you worked, or
    • If you have been receiving Workers Compensation payments or paid leave since the last day you worked, within six months of the date when paid leave or Return to Work payments ceased.

    Failure to apply within the required timeframe may result in your claim being ineligible.

  • To find out all you need to know about making an Income Protection claim, see Making a Claim. Or for further assistance you can contact our Member Services team on (08) 8214 7800.

  • If your claim is declined, you will be advised in writing as to why.

    If you don’t agree with the decision, you can request to have the decision reviewed by the Super SA Board and provide additional information to support your request.

    You can also lodge a complaint to us writing.

  • No. However, you will have to pay the cost of providing any medical evidence to support your claim, and any ongoing reports requested by Super SA from your treating doctors.

  • Subject to your benefit waiting period, payments will commence once your claim is approved. Once approved, payments (made fortnightly in arrears) will generally be backdated to either the expiry of the waiting period, or the last day of your paid leave – whichever is later.

    If you are receiving income from employment during the time you’re receiving IP benefits from Super SA, your IP payments may be reduced.

  • IP benefits will stop when you are no longer incapacitated, you reach your maximum payment period or cover expiry (age 65), your paid employment means that you are no longer entitled to a benefit or when you don’t provide medical evidence requested by Super SA.

    They’ll also end if your employment with the SA public sector terminates for any reason.

    See the Making an Income Protection claim information sheet for circumstances when your IP payments can end.

    To prevent overpayment of your benefit, it’s important that you notify Super SA as soon as possible if your circumstances change. Any overpayments will need to be paid back to Super SA.

  • You must lodge your claim within 6 months of ceasing to be engaged in employment due to illness or temporary disablement (the day you last physically went to work).

    Or if you have been receiving Workers Compensation payments or paid leave since the last day you worked, within six months of the date when paid leave or Return to Work payments ceased.

  • To cancel your Income Protection Insurance please complete the following form here.

The superannuation schemes administered by Super SA are exempt public sector superannuation schemes and are not regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) or the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA). Super SA is not required to hold an Australian Financial Services Licence to provide general advice about a Super SA product. The information in this publication is of a general nature only and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation, or needs. Super SA recommends that before making any decisions about its products you consider the appropriateness of this information in the context of your own objectives, financial situation, and needs, read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), and seek financial advice from a licensed financial adviser in relation to your financial position and requirements.